Honestly I would get a second opinion. One scan isn't enough to diagnose anything, because ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate. And I've always believed if it were a true emergency, the kind where it's life threatening, they'd be doing an immediate emergency section, not waiting a week. If there is time to wait a week to induce, there's time to get a second opinion before then.
I had iugr with my first pregnancy and my doctors always did scans two weeks apart. If they did them one week apart then they wouldn't be accurate. I would say it depends on the situation and what exactly they are concerned about. A second opinion wouldn't hurt.
I would also get a second opinion. But you're right, safety comes first and if you get the same answer, you will feel better knowing you did all that you could.
I hope you go naturally but if baby isn't growing then that means he's not getting proper nutrients from your placenta. The scans were 9 days apart so they would have seen some growth between the two, I would call and ask why they feel it's necessary to induce, if you haven't had him already :)
They were still pushing induction on me yesterday (which made me stressed and my contractions stopped dead).
Went in this morning, demanded a second scan to confirm that bub was small and needed to come before the induction went ahead today. Sure enough bub is fine and a good size so I'm back home, no more induction talk, contractions are back and I'm waiting for them to get closer and stronger ?
Thank you ladies ? I'm very glad I put my foot down and refused to be induced until we had confirmation that it would be needed.
I actually went into labour on my own after they sent us home from the hospital on Tuesday and had my beautiful baby boy at 11:24am on the 26/11/14. I had an amazing natural birth at the hospital using a birth pool with the support of my husband, my cousin, 2 fantastic midwives and my wonderful doula. It went perfectly and I'm so happy!!! ?
deleted-user·
Honestly I would get a second opinion. One scan isn't enough to diagnose anything, because ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate. And I've always believed if it were a true emergency, the kind where it's life threatening, they'd be doing an immediate emergency section, not waiting a week. If there is time to wait a week to induce, there's time to get a second opinion before then.
deleted-user·
I had iugr with my first pregnancy and my doctors always did scans two weeks apart. If they did them one week apart then they wouldn't be accurate. I would say it depends on the situation and what exactly they are concerned about. A second opinion wouldn't hurt.
deleted-user·
I would also get a second opinion. But you're right, safety comes first and if you get the same answer, you will feel better knowing you did all that you could.
Rebecca Milner·
Thanks ladies. I've actually started getting contractions tonight so hopefully I don't have to worry about an induction at all ?
deleted-user·
I hope you go naturally but if baby isn't growing then that means he's not getting proper nutrients from your placenta. The scans were 9 days apart so they would have seen some growth between the two, I would call and ask why they feel it's necessary to induce, if you haven't had him already :)
deleted-user·
How are you feeling today, mama?
Rebecca Milner·
They were still pushing induction on me yesterday (which made me stressed and my contractions stopped dead).
Went in this morning, demanded a second scan to confirm that bub was small and needed to come before the induction went ahead today. Sure enough bub is fine and a good size so I'm back home, no more induction talk, contractions are back and I'm waiting for them to get closer and stronger ?
deleted-user·
Good job demanding confirmation! I'm glad your baby is fine, get some rest and let him cook a little longer :-)
deleted-user·
I'm so glad to see that you took a stance for you and your baby!
Rebecca Milner·
Thank you ladies ? I'm very glad I put my foot down and refused to be induced until we had confirmation that it would be needed.
I actually went into labour on my own after they sent us home from the hospital on Tuesday and had my beautiful baby boy at 11:24am on the 26/11/14. I had an amazing natural birth at the hospital using a birth pool with the support of my husband, my cousin, 2 fantastic midwives and my wonderful doula. It went perfectly and I'm so happy!!! ?