I really want a VBAC.. how great are the risks?
I really want a VBAC.. how great are the risks?
I had my son September 2014, I’m due September 2018.. it will have been 4 years since my c section.. how many mommies went for a VBAC and something bad happened? I’m scared that i won’t be able to have this baby vaginally and I will have gone through contractions again for nothing. My doctor is letting me decide what I want, the hospital I will have the baby at isn’t very equipped for if there is a problem during delivery and that’s the main reason I’m so worried..
deleted-user·
Had my boy September 2013 and due in August. Also hoping for a VBAC. What do you mean your hospital isn't equipped if something goes wrong? My midwife told me if there are signs of rupture you go straight in for a c-section. I am scared to choose a vbac option and end up with a repeat.
Kassie·
It’s a really small hospital, not sure exactly what my doctor meant.. but he said that it’s just not very equipped if something goes wrong. I really don’t want to deal with the recovery of a c section with having a child to take care of already.. the way he spoke is like he is giving me the option to decide what I want. Don’t want to labor for 24 hours to have to have surgery anyways.
deleted-user·
I had 2 successful vbacs. Recovery was a lot better. I asked my ob has she witnessed many ruptures, my ob said she’s only ever witnessed one during her career of doing vbacs. Have some hope! Ruptures do happen but it doesn’t happen very often. And the gap between ur csection is long enough. Don’t over think it.
Kassie·
I’m more worried my hospital won’t let me do it, my doctor made it seem like it was up to me.. but I’ve heard people say they don’t allow them there.. just really don’t want surgery again just “because I had to last time”.. the closest hospital that I know for sure would let me is over an hour away. ?
deleted-user·
My first was a c-section in 2011. When we got pregnant again in 2012 and was told my local hospital didn't allow VBAC'S, I went to another hospital a little over an hour away. It was so worth having a doctor who truly supported my decision, and a hospital and staff that had my back! My vbac was 18 months after my c-section and it was amazing! My 2nd vbac was 3 years after in 2016 that with a different ob and hospital (insurance changes) and was that much smoother and quicker. We are going for vbac #3 in November.
Believe in your body and what you're capable of! After 4 years your chances of a successful vbac would be wonderful! You've got this, momma.
Kassie·
Thank you!! I appreciate it! I’m just not sure if I’ll be able to deliver vaginally, my son was stuck so I’m not sure if it’s something that my body will be able to do.. I’m worried I will go through all this trouble to have a VBAC and then need a csection in the end anyways ?
deleted-user·
If so it's worth the trouble hun
You don't want to suffer some kind of complication from a cesar then feel guilty you didn't try hard enough or know enough etc..
Vbac is scary but with the right team you can channel those fears into strength.
If it's not for you then you will know and go with what your comfortable with
Kassie·
I want to do it, I feel I was kind of pressured into my section with my son.. I’m going to have a talk with my ob and see.. and maybe I’ll have to switch to the hospital an hour away to have my VBAC.. thank you ladies for the information
deleted-user·
Read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth! Most complications during labour can often be bought back to medical interventions and a woman's fear. Your body naturally produces oxytocin to deliver your bubba and it is a "shy" hormone. If you are fearful, it will shy away and your progression will slow. This can lead to pitocin then an epidural, all the while bub is taking longer and not coming down smoothly and eventually more often than not can lead to c-section. Believe in your body as it was born to do this. Research labouring positions to get baby in an optimal spot to deliver. You can absolutely do this!
deleted-user·
Give it try & remain positive. Had my first dd January 2016 via c-section & gave birth to my second dd March 13. Labored for 16 hours & pushed for 30 minutes. I went exactly a week overdue. I didn’t have any signs of labor (baby didn’t drop nor did I dilate) up until the day before I went into labor. I also stayed at 5 cm for about 4/5 hours, doctor began getting an OR ready because if I hadn’t progressed in an hour or two he was sending me to get a c-section. I still remained positive, began moving hips around to try & encourage my body & baby to progress. It actually worked, when he came back I was 9 cm almost 10 & ready to push. Don’t give up on your decision. You can do it Mama!